Downloading Multiple Files Via Import and FTP

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132196] Downloading Multiple Files Via Import and FTP
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 02:25:25 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,

Mathematica's Import function works well for downloading single files from a remote computer using ftp, but it gets stuck when downloading anything more than about a 20 files in succession, even when those files are just few bytes.

If I define the path to a folder on my remote mac as

	ftpPath="ftp://user:password@domainName//filePath/=93

I can easily download a single file, myFile, using

	Import[ftpPath<>myFile, "CSV=94]

But if I try to download, say, 60 small files whose names are contained in myFileNames by mapping across the names (or by using Table)

	Import[ftpPath<> #, "CSV=94] &/@ myFileNames

I get two errors: (1) URLFetch::invhttp : Failure when receiving data from the peer; and (2) FetchURL::conopen.

I thought that maybe Mathematica was sending in the requests too quickly, so I tried slowing things down by inserting a one-second pause between each call to Import but that didn't help. Maybe I have to close a socket between each import but I don't know how to do that.

Anyone know of a fix?

Much obliged,

Gregory