Re: What's in an expression?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132422] Re: What's in an expression?
  • From: "djmpark" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 03:37:48 -0400 (EDT)

Sam,

You could have multiple choice questions, or you could use pattern matching
with alternatives that you would hope would catch the acceptable answers.

But why not, in this day and age, give students something better? Why not
have the students write short mathematical essays in notebook form on
various topics where they might explain how they got an answer and the
principles behind it? Of course, that means the teacher would have to
actually read the notebooks, and the student would also have to learn how to
write readable and clear presentations.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net

From: sam.takoy at yahoo.com [mailto:sam.takoy at yahoo.com]

Hi all,

I'm building a little Mathematica system that checks answers entered by
students. Suppose the question is "what is Sin'[x]?" ad the student
responds: Sin'[x] which is "correct", but not the intended answer (Cos[x]).
I'm wondering if there is a general way to approach this sort of problem. In
particular, is there a way to find out whether a given expression includes
certain elements (like Derivative)?

Thank you in advance,

Sam