Re: Combinatorica versus new graphs in V8

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132477] Re: Combinatorica versus new graphs in V8
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 04:59:34 -0400 (EDT)

I believe there's NO way to implement multiple edges in a
System`Graph object. In fact, you undoubtedly saw, when you tried, the error message:

  Graph::supp: Mixed graphs and multigraphs are not supported.

Moving the functionality of the graph-theoretic functions from the Combinatorica add-on to the kernel has been a slow process over several versions of Mathematica and evidently is not yet complete.

We can only hope that the next version of Mathematica, already documented in preliminary form at

  http://reference.wolfram.com/language/

will allow multiple edges at long last.

Murray Eisenberg                                murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.