Re: Chained-functional notation examples?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg132699] Re: Chained-functional notation examples?
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 02:04:47 -0400 (EDT)

A query such as this might do what you have in mind. Here
directoryname should be changed to whatever directory you
want searched.

Select[FileNames[("*uid*" | "*UID*"), directoryname, Infinity],
     ((StringMatchQ[DirectoryName[#] , "*egal*"] && Today <
DayPlus[FileDate[#], 3]) &]

Also there is a case sensitive switch if you want to allow strings with
e.g. "uID". If you want to allow that uid only in the name and not full
string

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research

-------------------

On Tue, 06 May 2014 06:26:46 +0000, Unknown wrote:

 > I came to 'Mathematica' via Xahlee's criticism of the ad-hoc nature of
 > unix-piping [functional notation].  He claims [& I believe him] that
 > Mathematica has a better, more consistent notation.  But the facility of
 > PRE, IN & POST-fix alternatives, seems bad.  You want ONE way of
 > acieving the goal. More rules just increases mental load.
 >
 > A major benefit of functional [unix-piping] programming style, is that
 > you don't need to remember the-full-journey: you just need to remember
 > the previous stage's output. Nor do you need to remember several names:
 > the previous output is just "it".  A superficial read through a recent
 > article[s] here, about <collecting data from several servers, and
 > agregating it, and sending the result to a master> seemed very
 > interesting, and matches my ideas of using functional programming.  But
 > I can't afford to invest in ANOTHER notation/syntax, without good
 > prospect of productivety increase.
 >
 > Just as a test, how would Mathematica handle the following [or part of]
 > little task:
 >
 > search all files in Dir=tree D |
 >  which are less than N days-old |
 >  and which contain string S1 |
 >  and which contain string S2 .
 >
 > Actually, this seems not a good example, since it's biased towards the
 > *nix file system's format/syntax.
 >
 > Try:
 > Search in table of ListOfOpenFiles for lineS with path-P [field] |
 >  which have same tty-field as line with path-P2 & program-M [field]
 >
 > This sounds like a data-base problem?
 >
 > Or is there a nice list of 'such' Mathematica examples?
 >
 >  Thanks,
 >
 > == John Grant.

Here's a related real-live problem:
  list all files in Dir-tree:D |
  which are less-than daysOld:N |
  and contain "egal" in the FullPathName |
   and contain String:"uid" OR "UID"