  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: NumberQ
  • From: Steve Christensen <uunet!!stevec>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 09:27:16 -0500

I am trying to define some numeric functions. If I make definitions
    myfun[x_Real] := thing1
    myfun[x_Integer] := thing2
    myfun[x_Number] := thing3
    myfun[x_Rational] := thing4
my function does not get evaluated for myfun[Sqrt[3]]. What type is
Sqrt[3]? I note that NumberQ[Sqrt[3]] returns False.

                               E. Neely Atkinson
                               AN123651 at UTHVM1.BITNET
                               neely at