Re: Speeding up Mathematica / numerical precision

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Speeding up Mathematica / numerical precision
  • From: uunet!renoir.Berkeley.EDU!fateman (Richard Fateman)
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 90 12:58:50 -0800

The idea of sharing data structures (such as fortran arrays) between
algebraic manipulation programs and Fortran / C stuff was promoted
by Franz Lisp / Vaxima (c. 1979) when we decided to have the same
structures for convenience of "foreign function" calls.  I assumed
that no Lisp compiler would do as good as the best Fortran compiler
in compiling numerical code. Direct links to fortran code (NAG library,
IMSL library, MINPACK) were handled  fairly conveniently.

About using N[ ...,30] around everything... this may not work
because in Mathematica, f[N[...,30]] and N[f[...],30]  are not the same.

  Richard Fateman