Re: Mathematica precision

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mathematica precision
  • From: Steve Christensen <uunet!yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu!stevec>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 01:19:29 -0600

Gary Kenward asks:

> How can I set the precision for a group of calculations:
> i.e. how can I set the precison of all my calculations for
> a Mathematica session;  how can I set the precision for
> all calculations within a function definition?
>
> I am sure this is in the text somewhere, but as yet,
> I have not been able to determine where.

There are many ways of doing what you want:

One (global) method would be to set

$Pre = N[#,30]&

which will numerically evaluate all expressions to 30 decimals
from that point onward.

Jerry Keiper from Wolfram Research has recently written up some
tutorial notes on related topics which may be helpful.  These can
be obtained by contacting the marketing department at Wolfram Research
(try lisa at wri.com).

Paul C. Abbott