math coprocessors

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: math coprocessors
  • From: jdelany at sargas.ACS.CalPoly.EDU (Jim Delany)
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 90 11:30:23 PDT

Richard Fateman's note on the pitfalls of relying on the Motorola floating
point coprocessor prompts me to share the example I like to use:

Mathematica (sun3.68881) 1.2 (November 6, 1989) [With pre-loaded data]

In[1]:= x = 2^100;

In[2]:= N[ Sin[x] ]

Out[2]= 0.973158

In[3]:= N[ Sin[x], 40 ]

Out[3]= -0.872183605

The difference between the hardware and software values is almost 2.
Does anyone have a sharper example?

Jim Delany   ( jdelany at )

Math Department, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo  CA  93407