remote kernels on macintosh computers

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: remote kernels on macintosh computers
  • From: wallraff at acds.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfgang Wallraff)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 00:20:31 GMT

Hi MathGroup

I do use Mma on a Macintosh with a local kernel. But I know some people at my
place, who use Mma with a remote kernel on a unix workstation. So I wanted to
use remote kernels too. But I do not have accsess to some larger workstations.
Therefore I wanted to use a remote kernel on another Macintosh with another
version of Mma. The documentation explains that it is possible to run multiple
kernels on different computers at the same time and to control these kernels via
notebooks on a single computer. I am very interested in running multiple kernels
on multiple Macs via an aplletalk network. But the documentation does not explai
quite good how to establish such connections between Macintoshes via appletalk.
There arte some explanations about the ADSP tool but I did not manage to get it
working, because of a lack of information.
I hope that you can provide some more and better information about how to run
remote kernels on macintosh computers and how to establish links between these
computers.

Thanks

		Andreas Wallraff
		West Germany