Re: What should Mma be?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: What should Mma be?
  • From: jcao at stern.nyu.edu..>., >., >., >>, (Jingbin Cao ~{2\>01r~})
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 05:04:19 EST

"Dr. Stefan P. Mueller" writes:
 > I also want to support the view that Mma ought to be a sophisticated
 > mathematical tool rather than a presentationn system. Invest in
 > improvements and validation of the math algorithms.

Improving math algorithms and presentation are not mutually exclusive
goals. As a matter of fact, they require different skills and talent.
I don't think it is fair that you and others advacating one over the
other on this forum because you don't use presentation feature very
much.

We use mma because it makes us more productive. Algorithms and
presentation functions all improve our productivity and therefore
should both be improved. Judging by the graph questions raised on this
forum, there is a pressing need for mma to add more presentation
features. It should not be too difficult for WRI to do, and a lot of
users can benefit. Unless you can leave the presentation part to
others.

It is true that there are many presentation programs on the market.
But they all suck when it comes to presenting math. Before the
minimalists can justify their assertion, they should tell the rest of
us which presentation program can do the job (presentation), and do so
with minimum fuss. I am very doubtful they can.

Jingbin Cao