ParametricPlot3D

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: ParametricPlot3D
  • From: SCHNEIDR at KNOX.BITNET
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1992 10:35 CST

Michael Trott notes a problem with ParametricPlot3D.  Here is another.  The
4th argument to ParametricPlot3D can not be a list of graphics directives.
For example
        ParametricPlot3D[{t,t,t,{RGBColor[1,0,0],Thickness[.02]}},
                {t,0,1}]
does not apply either graphics directive to the plot.  A look at the input
form tells why.  The graphics directives are passed as a list to Graphics3D.

The fix is simple.  Simply map Flatten across the output of ParametricPlot3D.
        Show[Map[{Flatten[#,3]}&,
                ParametricPlot3D[{t,t,t,{RGBColor[1,0,0],Thickness[.02]}},
                        {t,0,1},DisplayFunction->Identity]],
                DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction]

I have reported this problem to WRI.  I hope they fix it soon.

Dennis M. Schneider
Knox College