Updating (mm-) graphics window without replotting? (under X-Windows)

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Updating (mm-) graphics window without replotting? (under X-Windows)
  • From: p617hfa at sun24.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Heino Falcke)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 92 16:28:33 +0100

I am solving (sort of) equation of motions which take some time to evaluate.
Now I would like to see my test particles and the associated
values like velocity and acceleration etc. evolve on the screen in real time.

After each step of the integration routine, I would like to update a
GrapphicsArray such that only the new values are added to the already
existing graphics and not a completely new window with a completely
new graphic has to be created again.

Updating a Mathematica -Graphic- object is no problem. However,
displaying the PostScipt output on the screen is a problem.
Currently you would end up with your screen filled with hundreds of
individual windows (one window for each step) each differing by one dot.

To use the animation software you have to calculate all dots first and
then you can display them. But this makes no sense in my case.
Especially in the test phase I want to have a direct (visual) control of
what the calculation yields - during the calculation, besides looking at an
annoying table of numbers scrolling over the screen.

Does anybody know a way to get such an effect (for Open-Windows on a Sparc 2),
or do I have to wait for Mathematica 5.2 (or 4.1 or 17.5 or so)?

Heino Falcke