Re: nohup Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Re: nohup Mathematica
  • From: "Paul N. Schatz" <pns at>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 92 22:13:07 -0500

On Nov 25, 16:22, Daniel Rios wrote:
> Subject: nohup Mathematica
> Help!
> I would like to run a Mathematica program during the
> holidays. I want to make sure it is running before I logout,
> which is why I use "nohup" (unix system). But I also want to keep
> it running after I logout.  I can't seem to get it working.
> I thought something like at the command line but when I try it, mma quits
> my proccess does not continue running:
> /usr/5bin/nohup math<my_mma_script>outputofmma &
> Does anyone have any ideas. (I use Sun Platform)
> -- End of excerpt from Daniel Rios <daniel at>

Mathematica 2.0 for IBM RISC System 6000
Copyright 1988-91 Wolfram Research, Inc.

Using the above system, the following works:
nohup math <command file &

One can then log out, and all of the output will subsequently
be stored in the file, nohup.out.

        If one instead simply gives the command:
math <command file
the results will appear on the terminal screen as they are

        Paul Schatz