Default directives for graphics primitives

Dave,

     If you are using Plot to generate pictures, then you could define your
own settings for directives for any 2D primitives as part of PlotStyle:

          SetOptions[Plot, PlotStyle->Thickness[0.001]]

You can also give a list of directives as the setting for this option, such as
{Thickness[0.001], Dashing[{0.04, 0.04}], PointSize[0.03], RGBColor[1, 0, 1]}.

     The settings for directives PointSize, Thickness, and Dashing are
fractions of the width of the plot; they don't refer to units in the
coordinate plane or space.  For PointSize, the Mathematica book states that
the measure of the _radius_ is what is given, though my experience has been
that it is the _diameter_ (try PointSize[1/2] and PointSize[1] as examples to
verify).  If you have version 2, then you can use the new absolute measures
for these directives, Absolute* for all the above.  These allow you to give
sizes in units of points, or 1/72 inch, I think.

     I don't know how to set default values for directives for Graphics(3D),
only for PlotStyle as an option to Plot, ParametricPlot, and ListPlot.  I've
wondered about this for a while now, and if you find a way, I'll be interested
to know.

                                                    Robby Villegas
                                                    Knox College
                                                    (Villegas at Knox.Bitnet)