problem with Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: problem with Mathematica
  • From: kenward at mdd.comm.mot.com (Gary Kenward)
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 92 14:27:29 PST

I am running Mathematica 2.0 on a sun sparc station under
OpenWindows 3.0.

Every time I enter a "?" or "??", I get the proper information,
but the next input line appears with a tab embedded. This would
only be annoying, except that the tab is prepended to the input
line, and causes an error for any subsequent "?" or "??" input,
but, apparently, not for normal symbolic input.

The following examplifies this problem:

>  In[2]:= ?Plot
>  Plot[f, {x, xmin, xmax}] generates a plot of f as a function of x from xmin to
>     xmax. Plot[{f1, f2, ...}, {x, xmin, xmax}] plots several functions fi.
>
>  In[2]:=       y:=3
>
>  In[3]:= y
>
>  Out[3]= 3
>
>  In[4]:= ?Plot
>  Plot[f, {x, xmin, xmax}] generates a plot of f as a function of x from xmin to
>     xmax. Plot[{f1, f2, ...}, {x, xmin, xmax}] plots several functions fi.
>
>  In[4]:=       ?Print
>
>  Syntax::sntxf: "      " cannot be followed by "?Print".
>
>  In[4]:=

This is extremely annoying, to say the least. Does anyone know of a fix?

Gary Kenward