Re: Math typesetting in plot labels

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Math typesetting in plot labels
  • From: gray at cmgroup.engr.wisc.edu (Gary L. Gray)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 92 04:25:15 CST

It is not too difficult to add nice typeset (formatted) labels
to Mathematica plots.

I regularly save Mathematica graphics as EPSF files and then import
them into Canvas 3.0.  Once in Canvas it as easy to add typeset
labels by doing the following:

(1) Create the labels you want in your favorite application (I use
    Textures on the Mac, but I am sure MathType or Expressionist
    would work also).

(2) Copy the typeset material to the clipboard and paste it into
    Canvas.

(3) Grab the labels and put them any place on the figure that you
    like.

(4) Save the final figure as an EPSF file out of Canvas.

(5) The Canvas EPSF file is easily imported into TeX or any other
    application that will import EPSF files.

I know this is also possible with both Adobe Illustrator and
Aldus Freehand, but they are a little more expensive and harder
to use than Canvas.

I'll be glad to answer any questions or share any experiences
regarding with procedure with anyone struggling with it.

Good luck.

Gary L. Gray
Engineering Mechanics and Astronautics
University of Wisconsin-Madison