  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: solving large (53000 equations) systems of linear ODEs with Mma
  • From: Roque Donizete de Oliveira <oliveria at engin.umich.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 92 14:29:50 -0500

I have a systems of 53000 linear ODEs:
                                       P'(t) = A P(t)
where P(t) is a vector of length 53000, and A is a very large matrix
(constant) with only 5-diagonal of non-zero elements.
I've solved this problem using standard Runge-Kutta (in C and Fortran)
and using the Krylov approximation method for the matrix exponential operator.
I'd like to do the same thing (i.e., solve the system above) using Mma, if possible.
So I ask you fellow Mma users: Has anyone used Mma for this purpose ? Can Mma
solve (numerically, of course) such a large number of linear ODEs ?

Thanks for any information.

   Roque
   oliveria at engin.umich.edu
   Nuclear Eng Dept, The U. of Michigan