InputString bug, NeXT

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: InputString bug, NeXT
  • From: Garth Payne <pan at math.psu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 92 11:15:32 -0500

I am having trouble with the commands Input[] and InputString[]
when using the NeXT front end for Mathematica. Both commands
cause Mathematica to crash--front end, kernel, and all. I have
tried both Mathematica 1.2 on a NeXT with Operating System 2.0
and Mathematica 2.1 on a NeXT with Operating System 2.1.

Input[] and InputString[] prompt for input with a dialog box.
After I enter some text and press return, Mathematica 1.2 crashes
about one in ten times.  Mathematica 2.1 crashes less often. In
10 minutes of testing with the loop below, I made Mathematica
2.1 crash twice.  Strings of one character seem to be especially
likely to cause a crash of Mathematica 1.2.  The problem only
occurs if I use the NeXT front end;  not if I run Mathematica
in a shell with the command "math".

Is there a work-around?  What I really want is a function that
behaves like InputString[] but doesn't wait for a newline;
the function would reasonably be called InputCharacter[].

A good way to test Input[] and InputString[] is with the loops

        x=Input[];
        While[If[x!=q,True,False,True],x=Input[];]

and

        x=InputString[];
        While[x!="q",x=InputString[];]

In the case of Mathematica 2.0, it's a good idea to turn off
spell-checking first with the command Off[General::spell1].

Garth Payne