graphics problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: graphics problem
  • From: Robert Singleton <bobs at>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 19:06:37 PDT

I have a graphics problem of sorts. I want to graph a hyperboloid of
one sheet with an arc drawn across it. However, when the arc goes
around the hyperboloid I would still like to see it  rather than have
it eclipsed. How do I do this? There was a similar question the other
day about partial transparency. Unfortunately I didn't understand the
reply (which was from twj at -- obviously a Mathematica expert).

Here is a little more detail:

   Z1[tau_,w_]:= Sin[tau]/Cos[w]
   Z2[tau_,w_]:= Cos[tau]/Cos[w]

where -Pi<tau<Pi and -Pi/2<w<Pi/2. This alo parametrizes the

I can also parametarize the hyperboloid as follows:

   z0[r_,t_]:=(1 - r^2 + t^2)/(2*r)
   z2[r_,t_]:=(1 + r^2 - t^2)/(2*r)

where r,t are any real numbers. (These are lower case z's). I am
interested in putting the r=3 curve on "grHy". This is what I do:

   Show[grHy,grArc,ViewPoint->{2.245, 1.552, 2.000}]

This gives me an arc running across the hyperboloid, but
unfortunately part of it is eclipsed. What should I do
to see the arc on both sides? Thanks very much.

Robert Singleton
bobs at