Treating units as positive constants?

  • To: mathgroup <mathgroup at>
  • Subject: Treating units as positive constants?
  • From: dan at (Dan Dill)
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 14:10:10 EST

I am doing some example calculations involving kinetic molecular theory for a
freshman class. I want to carry units throughout, but I am stumped on how to
have Mathematica simplify Sqrt[meter^2] to meter, etc.  Is there a way to do
this without appearing overly complicated to the students (for example without
having to introduce FullForm, Power, /., and such like)?

Dan Dill
dan at chem.bu,edu
Boston University/Chemistry