The case of the disappearing windows.

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: The case of the disappearing windows.
  • From: mcwilljg at euler.sfasu.edu
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 92 13:58:33 CDT

I have written a number of Mma procedural programs for use in a
numerical analysis class that I teach.  These programs are files
containing Mma commands and are executed using the <<filename
command.  The students must enter a function (which is then parsed),
and constant values specific to the particular procedure.  They are
given an option to plot the entered function.  Since they are usually
running the kernel remotely, they can choose the type of output
device that they need(terminal, tektronics or Mma window).

My problem is this:  In any single session, if the programs are run
in a Mma window, after a number of executions(not always the same
number), Mma dies immediately after one of the input windows(not
always the same one) disappears after accepting input.  This is not a
logic problem, the programs run on any legitimate example, nor is it
a case of bad input values, the same example will run 4 or 5 times
and MMa will die on the 6th time.  Furthermore, if the programs are
run remotely, no problems are experienced at all.

My suspicion is that perhaps some variables or functions must be
cleared after each run or some sort of initialization or resetting
must be done after each run in order to avoid a buffer overflow when
executing in a window.

NOTE: SWAPFILE does _not_ increase is size after a MMa window dies in
this manner.

Any suggestions??