A Notebook Problem

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: A Notebook Problem
  • From: Robert Singleton <bobs at thnext.mit.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 92 12:07:16 PDT

Hi,

I recently reported a Serious Mathematica Problem in which M refused
to start up for me.  I have the problem partly solved now. Wolfram &
Co. told me there was a bug in 2.0 in which if you had once installed
M and then tried to re-install it and then selected the thin kernel,
it wouldn't work. You must select a thick kernel if you put the
disket back into your machine. I still don't know what initially
happened when it first crashed, but I messed things up even worse
after I re-installed it with the thin kernel. Things seem to be
working fine now. With one exception: the notebook I was editing
when all this began won't work. When I click on its icon, nothing
happens. Furthermore, after I try to open this notebook I can then
open no other notebooks! Mathematica is once again disabled if I
try to open the bad notebook!?! I can quit Mathematica and start
it up again and everything (except the bad notebook) works fine.
The trouble is, I desperately need this bad notebook. Does any
one have any suggestions what the trouble could be? I suspect
that since I had to quit mathematica without saving the notebook,
while it was being edited, that there is some sort of appendage
that it needs but which wasn't added. Thanks for any info.

Bob Singleton
bobs at thnext.mit.edu