Integrals involving the Heaviside function

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Integrals involving the Heaviside function
  • From: Roque Donizete de Oliveira <oliveria at engin.umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 92 17:26:52 -0400

I need to perform (many) integrals whose simplest example is
  Integrate[Heaviside[x-2] Exp[-x], {x,0,Infinity}]

where Heaviside is the step function (not available in Mma).
Does anyone have a suitable Mma implementation of the Heaviside
function or suggestion that would allow me to do integrals like
the one above ?
Manually splitting the interval of integration is not what I want.
I need some automated way (my integrands are defined in terms
of Heaviside[x], actually Heaviside[y^2 -(x^2 -a^2)], where both
x and y are the variables of integration (double integral) and a > 0 ).

Thanks for any help.

  Roque
  oliveria at caen.engin.umich.edu
  Nuclear Eng Dept, The University of Michigan