Re: Statistical packages

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: Re: Statistical packages
  • From: ags at (Dave Seaman)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 92 10:06:51 EST

>Mathematica 2.0 for MS-DOS 386/7
>Copyright 1988-91 Wolfram Research, Inc.
>In[1]:= <<Statistics`Master`
>In[2]:= PDF[NormalDistribution[0,1],x]
>PDF::shdw: Warning: Symbol PDF appears in multiple contexts

>    {Statistics`Common`DistributionsCommon`, Global`}; definitions
in context

>    Statistics`Common`DistributionsCommon`
>     may shadow or be shadowed by other definitions.
>Out[2]= PDF[NormalDistribution[0, 1], x]
>What did go wrong?

This looks to me like an omitted DeclarePackage in the file
Statistics/Master.m in Mathematica 2.0. It's fixed in Mathematica
2.1. I found that in the 2.0 version, a

gets rid of the unwanted global context and lets this example work
properly (but beware, there may be other identifiers with the same

Dave Seaman