a couple of things

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: a couple of things
  • From: DKEFFORD at delphi.com
  • Date: 11 Apr 1993 18:28:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi again,

Haven't heard from me in a while, huh? Thanks to all who replied- your inform-
ation was very helpful. I finally was successful at fitting generated data;
now I have to figure a way at importing data from a LeCroy scope into Math.
without crashing my system (there are about 10,000 points per trace). However,
I think I'll be able to figure something out.

I have another question- I have 14 megabytes of RAM in my computer. What is
the most advantageous way of utilizing all this, in terms of speed. For
example, is it a good idea to create a RAM disk, say 4 or 6 megs large, and
make that a "tempfile"? I notice that for 3D plots and large calculations,
Mathematica hits the hard drive a lot. My version is for Windows, so I know
that there is memory management, but is there a way to do everything in RAM
and less (or nothing) on the hard drive?

Once again, thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Dan Kefford