Is this a bug in AbsArg?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Is this a bug in AbsArg?
  • From: mek at guinan.psu.edu (Mark E. Kotanchek)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 22:02:50 -0400

Hi folks,

I was browsing ftp.wri.com and came across Declare.m and AbsArg.m which would
appear to help to simplify some equations. However, if I use AbsArg I seem to
get some strange and incorrect results. If I execute the following (running Mma
2.1 on my NeXTstation), we get the results:

   Im[phi] ^= 0   =====> 0
                          I phi
   z=Exp[I phi]   =====> E

                              I phi
   Arg[z]         =====> Arg[E     ]
   Arg[phi]       =====> Arg[phi]

If I then load the AbsArg package, my results change to

   Im[phi] ^= 0  ======> 0
                          I phi

   z=Exp[I phi]  ======> E
   Arg[z]        ======> 0
   Arg[phi]      ======> Arg[phi]

I was sort of expecting that Arg[z] would give me the phasor angle, phi. I
think the resulting answer of zero is dangerously incorrect. Am I correct in
this assessment?

Will Mathematica ever understand anything other than real algebra? (in a
mainstream and supported fashion.)

Mark.
---
Mark Kotanchek