contour graphics

  • Subject: contour graphics
  • From: msdrl!nachbar at uunet.uu.net (Dr. Robert B. Nachbar)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 12:31:03 EDT

dear graphics experts:

i would like to make some contour plots with the low regions shading to
white and the high regions shading to black. this is just the reverse of
the default use of GrayLevel. i've tried defining my own function for
ColorOutput as described on page 473 of "the Book":

In[1]:= reverse[GrayLevel[x_]]=GrayLevel[1-x] ;

In[2]:= ContourPlot[(1-Sin[x])(2-Cos[2 y]), {x,-2,2},{y,-2,2},
	ColorOutput->reverse] ;

but the result is not useful. the shading is correct, but all the black
lines (contour lines, frame, ticks, tick labels, etc.) are not visible
because they were drawn in white!

i know, i know; i could make the kludge of contouring -f(x,y) or
something similar, but this just goes against my grain. does anyone know
of a simple (i.e., one or two lines of code) way to achieve the effect i
want?

bob
--
Dr. Robert B. Nachbar | Merck Research Laboratories | 908/594-7795
nachbar at msdrl.com     | R50S-100                    | 908/594-4224 FAX