Applying a set of rules to a List

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Applying a set of rules to a List
  • From: "Anthony Varghese" <avarg at s1.arc.umn.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 93 19:21:15 CST

I would like to apply a set of rules to all the elements of a list and
I've tried a number of things with no success.

What I have is a set of equations in which certain variables are to be
held at fixed values. The equations are stored as a list, say, oldEqns.
The substitution rules are stored in a variable called fpRules.
I need to get a new set of equations obtained by ReplaceAll'ing the
old eqns with the fpRules.  Here is one attempt:

	applyRules[item_] := ReplaceAll[item, fpRules]

	newEqns = Map[ applyRules, oldEqns ]

Unfortunately this did not work; I don't see any difference between
oldEqns and newEqns even though I KNOW there are places where the rules
can be applied.
Anyone see the problem?

Thanks,
	Tony Varghese