problem with init.m in mma 2.2 on RS/6000

I'm running mathematica version 2.2 on an RS/6000 running AIX version 2.3
and I've noticed the following problem.   My init.m file contains
only the command "Print[ValueQ[a]]", however on initilization this gives
the result "ValueQ[a]", instead of evaluating ValueQ.  Typing
"<< init.m" on the command line gives the correct result "False".  I
first noticed this problem while trying to run Dan Dill's tex-mathematica
package with version 2.2.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Allen Barker