graphing vectors related to surfaces on mathematica

I am a Calculus Students and are trying to plot tangent vectors to
points on a surface and simmilar types of graphing.  The goal I hope
to achieve is a more visual understanding of the material. I can't
seem to get Mathematica to graph the vectors and the surface on the
same graph.

If anyone can offer some assistance it would be appreciated.

alia%nvcc.uucp at groucho.sonoma.edu (Grace M. Grady)