Publication quality graphics

I'm having trouble creating publication quality graphics in Mathematica. If
I make the font large enough, the axes numbers run into the axes labels and
I don't see any way to offset the axis labels to avoid this. When I try to
combine a plot with a Text graphic, I lose all the axes and the numbers.
For example the original graphic RDHDensity was a surface plot with axis
labels, tick marks and numerical values. When I try to combine this with
the text graphic I get two plots instead of one. The original and a second
which contains only the surface and the text.

Show[{RDHDensity,Graphics[Text["Density",{.5,.5},{1,0}]]}]

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Buff Miner

William H. Miner, Jr.
Fusion Research Center and
Institute for Fusion Studies
The University of Texas at Austin   phone: (512) 471-5548
Austin, Texas 78712                   FAX: (512) 471-6715
miner at hagar.ph.utexas.edu Internet
miner at utxvms              bitnet