Re: Suggestions needed for Mathematica course

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg372] Re: Suggestions needed for Mathematica course
  • From: Richard Bowman <rbowman at Mercury.bridgewater.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 94 20:40:29 -0500

Gary Gray asked about resources used in teaching Mathematica in college
courses.

I have not taught a separate course on using Mathematica, but I do introduce
and use it in upper-level physics courses at the undergraduate level.  I
give each student the "tutorial" by Nancy Blachman, _Introduction to
Mathematica_ (from the June 1992 Mathematica conference in Boston), a brief
hands-on demonstration of starting a Mathematica session and then an assign-
ment with a copy of a completed problem or two using Mathematica.  I try to
giive the worked problems after they have gotten into Mathematica a bit.

The Blachman tutorial is available through mathsource.wri.com via ftp.
But I do not have the data in front of me giving the exact directory route
to it.  If you have difficulty finding it, contact me directly, and I can
find the route for you.

Please pass along to the list, what you do find successful as the course
goes along.

Richard
    Richard L. Bowman
    Dept. of Physics, Bridgewater College, Bridgewater, VA  22812
    <rbowman at bridgewater.edu>                     703-828-5441