Possible error in $PreRead???

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.Cybernetics.NET
  • Subject: [mg341] Possible error in $PreRead???
  • From: Jason Harris <physjfh at phys.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 05:42:37 +1300 (NZDT)

Hi,

I have had some curious behaviour with the following:

In[1]:=
$PreRead = .

In[2]:=
symb

Out[2]=
symb

In[3]:=
symb

Out[3]=
symb

But if I enter the following expression into $PreRead

In[4]:=
$PreRead = (ToString @ ToExpression @ #) &

Out[4]=
ToString[ToExpression[#1]] &

Then the In[...]/Out[...] counter starts advancing by two

In[6]:=
symb

Out[6]=
symb

In[8]:=
symb

Out[8]=
symb

Uhh???

The crux of this problem seems to lie with $PreRead in conjunction with
ToExpression or ToHeldExpression. Can anyone shed some light on what
seems like an error.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Harris                          j.harris at phys.canterbury.ac