Re: bug-checking experiment

  • To: mathgroup at (mathgroup)
  • Subject: Re: bug-checking experiment
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 11:44:25 -0600

p.kent at writes:
>Dear MathGroup,
>I'd appreciate it if any of you running the X Front End could try
>this little procedure, which hangs the FE on both SGI and DEC RISC
>(versions 2.2 and 2.2.1):
>Start the FE, and execute an Input[] command. That should work
>fine. Now do another Input[] --- you may get a message saying
>"Mathematica could not find an important resource..." and
>the kernel is hung.
>Do any of the FE versions not have this bug?
>If you find it, send a message to support at asking them why
>a bug which was in the beta release of XFE last fall is STILL
>there after TWO release versions.
>It's not my intention to harass WRI Technical Support, but I've
>tried several times to get a response through the "usual channels"
>and got nowhere.
>Phillip Kent
>Imperial College

This bug is not present in version 2.2.2 of Mathematica with the
X Front End, the current shipping version for the platforms you

Anyone having problems with this bug can contact Wolfram Research
Technical Support (support at or support-euro at and
requesta  bug-fix upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support
Wolfram Research, Inc.
Tel (217) 398-0700        Fax (217) 398-0747        ianc at