code to do 2-D math formatting

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: code to do 2-D math formatting
  • From: p.kent at imperial.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jun 94 19:14:33 +0100

Dear MathGroup,

I'm planning to rewrite one of my Mathematica programs in C or C++.
One thing I really need is a piece of free(?) code which can do 2-D
formatting like Mma's OutputForm does; i.e. an expression like
 -x^2/2
will get formatted to a string containing the right spaces
and \n's and whatnots to appear as:
   2
 -x
 ---
  2
when printed.

Does anyone know of such a code? (This seems like it ought to be one
of the harder exercises in an old-fashioned programming textbook.)

Phillip Kent
Imperial College
London.