WnMath22 vs. memory

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: WnMath22 vs. memory
  • From: p.kent at imperial.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 14:09:16 +0100

Dear Yilmaz, I suspect that your memory configuration is wrong.

On my 16MB machine, I have Windows Virtual Memory (access via
Control Panel--386 Enhanced) set to 9040kb. And in Mathematica
under Options--Kernel I have kernel extra memory set to 7168kb.

If you're doing big calculations you might want to increase
the Extra Memory to a bigger value.

These settings work fine for me. I've never understood how
Mathematica does memory management under Windows, and if it
works properly at all.

Incidentally, the new version of Mma for Windows, v2.2.2, is
now released. This has separate Front End and Kernel, and
the MathLink programming library. You should get this free(?)
upgrade from your supplier as soon as possible. It might
even do memory mangement better.

Regards, Phillip Kent.