Is there a function to read image file bitmaps into Mathematica ?

15/6/94

Dear MathGroupers,

Do you have a Mathematica function that can read a grayscale image
stored in the TIFF file format. I'd like to be able to work on the 2-D
matrix (i.e., a List of Lists) representing an image's bitmap.

I don't (at the moment, anyway) need to read colour images, just
grayscale (4-bit or 8-bit) or bilevel (1-bit), so a function that
implements TIFF Class G baseline reading would work OK.

Are functions available to read any other image file formats?
(e.g., GIF, JPEG, PBM etc.)

Please drop me a quick e-mail message if you can help,

Thanks

Dr Simon Chandler
Hewlett-Packard Ltd (CPB)
Filton Road