Arbitrary Precision Calculation Of Pi

Mathgroupers,

A colleague of mine asked me how Mathematica calculates Pi to an arbitrary
precision.  I haven't a clue.  Do any of you know?!

Yours in anticipation

Paul E Howland

Ground Radar Sensors Section                             tel. + 44 684 895366
CAD2 Division                                            fax. + 44 684 896315
Defence Research Agency                           email: PEHOWLAND at DRA.HMG.GB
Malvern, Worcs, WR14 3PS, UK.