Re: matrix of coefficents

Dear MathGroup !

wmm at chem.wayne.edu (Martin McClain) wrote:

> If
> varsN = a list of N variables,
> and if
> exprsN = a list of of N expressions, each one linear in the variables of
> varsN,
>
> Is there some operator (that I haven't found yet), or some clever way to
> use a nonobvious operator, to get the matrix of coefficients?

You should try the Jacobian matrix which is the matrix of derivatives of
all expressions to all variables. It's in the Mathematica book in the
Tour through Mathematica, section 9. Programming ( p. 12 in the german
edition):

Jacobi[funs_List, vars_List] := Outer[D, funs, vars]

Hope this helps

Hendrik

merx at pc.chemie.th-darmstadt.de