transparency in Mma graphics

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg604] transparency in Mma graphics
  • From: wmm at chem.wayne.edu (Martin McClain)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 95 19:22:04 EST

Dear MathGroup:

I would like to draw a picture of a molecule showing one of its planes of
reflection symmetry.  The plane should look like a piece of colored or
slightly hazy glass, so that the atoms on the near side will be in bright
colors, while the ones on the far side will look like their images have
been filtered through the glass (but still with recognizably distinctive
colors related to the unfiltered colors for kind of atom).  And all of this
must readjust itself as the viewpoint rotates.  Can anyone point me to an
example where anything like this has been done?

I have Tom Wickham-Jones's excellent book on Mathematica Graphics, but it
does not seem to discuss transparency, at least not that I have been able
to recognize.

Thanks-  Martin McClain