Re: Formula Output

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg736] Re: [mg648] Formula Output
  • From: Paul E Howland <PEHOWLAND at taz.dra.hmg.gb>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 09:00:49 +0200 (IST)
On 6 Apr 1995, James Leno wrote:

>     Does anyone know of any kind of program that will take text output
> from Mathematica and turn it onto graphical symbols, like in MathType?  I
> think even an Apple Script would do the trick (if Mathtype is scriptable
> in any way).

I've just got hold of Tom Wickham-Jones' new book - "Mathematica Graphics,
Techniques & Applications", ISBN 0-387-94047-2.  This has been written on
an, as yet, unreleased version of Mathematica (ie. something higher than
V2.2).  He gives examples of two new formatting types, StandardForm and
TraditionalForm, which are used like FortranForm, etc.  StandardForm
appears to typeset Mathematica text using mathematical symbols, but
retaining the Mathematica syntax - eg. Sin[Alpha]^2 would be typeset as
Sin[\alpha]^2, although the Alpha actually becomes the Greek symbol,
whereas TraditionalForm does the full works, writing the expression in
traditional mathematical notation, thus Sin[Alpha]^2 would be typeset as
sin^2(Alpha).  Sorry, it's hard to explain on an ASCII terminal, but the
results look good.  Basically, the results look comparable to what you
would achieve with LaTeX.  It also allows one to mix fonts and symbols,
etc., when labelling graphs, which should solve people's problems.

So, I guess if you're patient, the next release of Mathematica will do
what you want.  Does anyone from WRI care to speculate on when we'll see
this new release?!

Paul E Howland

Long Range Ground Radar Systems Section               tel. +44 (0)1684 895767
CSS2 Division, Room BY209                             fax. +44 (0)1684 896315
Defence Research Agency                           email: PEHOWLAND at DRA.HMG.GB
Malvern, Worcs, WR14 3PS, UK.