Sequential Plotting, and "INKEY$", in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg749] Sequential Plotting, and "INKEY$", in Mathematica?
  • From: siegman at ee.stanford.edu (A. E. Siegman)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 10:13:33 -0800

1)    Is there any way in Mathematica to put up a plot, and then add
      additional points to it, without generating a new plot?
      (E.g., to show a curve on a plot evolving dynamically with time).

      I don't think there is, and I think it's one of the biggest
      weaknesses for educational use of mma.

2)    Is there any way to start mma on, for example, an iterative or
      lengthy calculation, and have the program test from time to time
      whether any input key has been hit _while mma was running_?
      (In other words, the equivalent of the INKEY$ function in Basic.)

      Again, I think this is a major weakness of mma.  You might want to
      start an iterative calculation in mma, watch how the initial results
      evolve, then hit a key to make the program branch or change values,
      without stopping it (and without having it stop and wait for you
      to come back and enter some input).