Re: Re: Lyapunov Equation

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg792] Re: [mg713] Re: Lyapunov Equation
  • From: gdelfino at conicit.ve (Gustavo Delfino)
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 00:43:31 -0400

>From: ggb at bigdog.engr.arizona.edu (Gene Bergmeier)
>Subject: Lyapunov Equation
>Date: 11 Apr 1995 06:00:56 GMT

>Pardon the silly question, but my roommate and I are just beginning to
>use Mathematica.  We are attempting to solve the Lyapunov equation (from
>nonlinear controls).  The equation is

>        PA+Trans(A)P=-Q where

>        Q=I
>        P is symmetric
>        and A is general.

>We have tried the following procedure.  Set Q equal to a 2D identity
>matrix, P as a matrix of p11, p12 and p22 and A as a matrix of known
>coefficients.  Then we stated the Lyapunov eq and asked Mathematica to
>solve it for p11, p12 and p22.

>Any thoughts or suggestions?

I made a set of functions for that. I use the equation a little different,
I use R instead of P, and the negative sign in the other side:

Q=-(Trans(A)R+RA)

I give Q and A as arguments, and the programs returns me all the
coefficients of the symmetric P.

For example if

Q={{2,0},
   {0,2}}

and

A={{    0,         1},
   {-wn^2,-2 zeda wn}}

to obtain P, I run my program:

Qatra[{{2,0},
       {0,2}},{{    0,         1},
               {-wn^2,-2 zeda wn}}]
to obtain:
               2         2                2
         1 + wn  + 4 zeda           1 + wn              -2
{{r11 -> -----------------, r22 -> ----------, r12 -> wn  }}
             2 wn zeda                 3
                                   2 wn  zeda

Here is the program:

Clear[r]

VarMatrix[var_,n_]:=
Module[{},
  var=.;
  Table[
    ToExpression[
      StringJoin[
        ToString[  var  ],
        ToString[  Min[i,j]  ],
        ToString[  Max[i,j]  ]
      ]
    ],
  {i,1,n},{j,1,n}
  ]
]

Example:
VarMatrix[r,3]
{{r11, r12, r13}, {r12, r22, r23}, {r13, r23, r33}}

VarList[var_,n_]:=
Module[{},
  var=.;
  Union[
    Flatten[
      Table[
        ToExpression[
          StringJoin[
            ToString[  var  ],
            ToString[  Min[i,j]  ],
            ToString[  Max[i,j]  ]
          ]
        ],
      {i,1,n},{j,1,n}
      ]
    ]
  ]
]

Example
VarList[r,3]
{r11, r12, r13, r22, r23, r33}

Qatra[q_,a_]:=Module[{R,qq},
r=.;
n=Length[q];
R=VarMatrix[r,n];
qq=-(Transpose[a].R+R.a);
Simplify[
  Solve[
    Flatten[
      Table[ q[[l,c]]==qq[[l,c]],
      {c,1,n},{l,1,c}
      ]
    ],
  VarList[r,n]
  ]
]
]

|Gustavo Delfino          |gdelfino at dino.conicit.ve|
|Universidad Metropolitana|  CompuServe: 73000,1127|
|Ingenieria Mecanica      |      FAX:(582) 963-7726|
|Caracas, Venezuela       |________________________|