  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg783] Re: functions that take a specified option
  • From: Lou Talman <me at talmanl.mscd.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 00:27:50 -0400

The "Names" operator (whose existence had escaped me until I saw Dan
Wagner's posting) obviates the need for a package to solve the problem of
locating commands that admit certain options or that have certain
attributes.  I had thought of a package because the only way I knew to get
my hands on what "Names" provides was so clumsy that I wanted to embed the
result in the package.  The following does very nicely:

CurrentDefinitionList := Names[];

CommandList := Select[CurrentDefinitionList,

                       (!StringMatchQ[#, "$*"])&];

FindOption[name_] := Block[{dummy},Select[CommandList,

  (dummy = ToExpression[#];

       MemberQ[Options[dummy], name -> _]
           || MemberQ[Options[dummy], name :> _])&]];

FindAttribute[name_] :=