Re: Fonts for math eqns in Davis,Porta&Uhl

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg605] Re: [mg587] Fonts for math eqns in Davis,Porta&Uhl
  • From: Lou Talman <me at talmanl.mscd.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 95 14:34:26 -0700

The font used in "Calculus & Mathematica" by Davis, Porta, and Uhl is
called "CalcMath".  It's a proprietary font that "belongs" to
Addison-Wesley and is distributed with the electronic text.

A-W doesn't seem to be particularly interested in exercising it ownership
rights to this font; I've heard from at least one colleague that they've
taken the position the fonts can't be copyrighted and "owned".  (I'm sure
that Adobe and other foundries would take issue with this position.)  You
may be able to obtain more, and more explicit, information from one of the
co-authors of the book, Bill Davis, of Ohio State University:

davis at math.ohio-state.edu

--Lou Talman
  Metropolitan State College of Denver
Begin forwarded message: