[Q] How to use NonlinearFit[...]

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg861] [Q] How to use NonlinearFit[...]
  • From: dave at freebucks.feinberg.nwu.edu (David Johnson)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 01:33:30 -0400

I have a set of data that I would like to fit to an equation
using the following initial equation:  x[[n+1] = A x[[n]] ( 1 - B X[[n]])
This is a typical nonlinear, dynamical equation used in many texts
as a function that may interate equations to chaotic states.

Several people have suggested I use NonlinearFit in the Nonlinear package.
I haven't any clue how to set up this for NonlinearFit.
I know I must be missing something simple but how can I use NonlinearFit to
finds the best fit for an equation who's next data point is the result of
its current fit?  Please excuse my lack of good english communication to
communicate what I want, I just hope it's understandable.

Has anyone a suggestion or a Mathematica text reference.

--
David A. Johnson (office)= (312) 503-0408     (pager) = (312) 820-3469
Research Engineer