Re: mesh lines

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg880] Re: mesh lines
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 01:52:42 -0400

In article <3nf1v6$kgm at news0.cybernetics.net>, nandgopa at mathbu.ernet.in
(Nandgopal) wrote:

> Hi Math Groupers,
>
> Can the mesh lines in ParametricPlot3D, CylindricalPlot3D etc be
> suppressed? I am interested in getting hardcopies of a few
> three-dimensional surfaces without the mesh lines? Can the thickness of
> the mesh lines be controlled? I would like them thinner in the print
> outs.
>
> Also, can I embed the pictures in text typeset in Tex. Are there any
> packages etc written to do this? Any help, suggestions welcome.

You can use Insert to place an empty EdgeForm directive
at the appropriate position in a ParametricPlot. This
example uses SphericalPlot3D.

In[1]:=
    Needs[ "Graphics`ParametricPlot3D`"]

In[2]=
    gr = SphericalPlot3D[ 2, {theta, 0, Pi}, {phi, 0, 2 Pi}]
Out[2]:=
    -Graphics3D-

In[3]:=
    Show[ Insert[ gr, EdgeForm[],  {1,1}]]
Out[3]=
    -Graphics3D-

You can insert Edgeform[ Thickness[ r ]] to specify a line
thickness r. Thickness creates lines where the thickness is
relative to the size of the graphic. AbsoluteThickness allows
you to specify the thickness in point sizes.

To place Mathematica graphics in TeX documents you will want
to export them as Encapsulated PostScript (eps) files. The
details of how to do this vary depending on the computer
platform that you are using to run Mathematica. It is
described in the User's Guide for your version of Mathematica.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support