PlotRange Limitation?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg881] PlotRange Limitation?
  • From: martind at carleton.edu (D<martind at carleton.edu>M)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 00:38:42 -0400

Ok - I've got a question:
I'm just trying to get a decent plot out of Mathematica for a function that
returns some very small values.
However, I won't worry you all with the function as the problem occurs in the
Plot:
The command:
Plot[x*10^-29, {x, 0, 100}, PlotRange -> {0, 10^-27}]
Gives me a little graph of nothing - the PlotRange is apparently ignored, and
is treated as if I had typed {-0.5, 0.5} for the PlotRange; (I get this
information from FullOptions).
Now, one solution would be to scale the function up a bit and use Ticks to
simulate being way down under, but I'd rather not do that - I just want to Plot
where I want to Plot.
I tried some odd replacement rules to get a FullForm that looked like it had
the proper PlotRange, but when I did a Show of that Graphics object and then
another FullForm, it appeared that PlotRange had secretly returned to {-0.5,
0.5}.
Is there a hidden limit on PlotRange?  Can it be changed?

martind at carleton.edu