Plotting a curve in space

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1811] Plotting a curve in space
  • From: luke at boombox.arc.nasa.gov (Luke Dones)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 02:09:57 -0400

Hi -- I'd like to plot the orbit of a satellite which has
been calculated by numerical integration. The data is basically
an array of time (equally spaced) and Cartesian position
coordinates x, y, and z. So far I've just been plotting xy and
xz projections of the data with a canned package for 2-D graphics.

It seemed that Mathematica (which I'm not very familiar with)
should be able to plot the orbit in 3 dimensions. But none of
the routines mentioned in Wolfram's book seem to do exactly what
I want. The output I want would look something like the curve in
3-dimensions produced by ParametricPlot3D, except that I don't have
an explicit form for x, y, and z as a function of time.

Please reply to this group or luke at boombox.arc.nasa.gov.

Thanks,
 Luke

  Luke Dones			Telephone: (415)604-0125