Re: PowerMac kernel eccentricity
- To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
- Subject: [mg1920] Re: PowerMac kernel eccentricity
- From: Dr Phillip Kent <p.kent at ic.ac.uk>
- Date: Sun, 20 Aug 1995 19:39:40 -0400
- Organization: Imperial College
In Article DDFr2K.Hxy at wri.com Rex A. Dieter wrote: >It is not WRI's fault neccisarily. Mac, MSDOS, and UNIX all treat text files >a little differently. I bet your problem may arise when porting items >between any of these platforms. For the record, I met this \r - \n problem before. For the Mathematica kernel, the behaviour is the same under DOS/Windows and Unix, different under MacOS. > I personally have seen odd things (= lots of >extra spaces paragraphs, etc) when porting documents >from MSDOS to UNIX, because MSDOS uses a \r AND \n and the >ends of line, whereas UNIX only uses \n. But that is definitely not WRI's fault. In fact, any decent network file transfer program or DOS floppy disk emulator should be handling that automatically.